Obtaining a Tourist Visa for Nepal:
Visit the Official Website:
- Check the official website of the Nepalese embassy or consulate in your country for specific visa requirements and procedures.
- Complete the Visa Application Form:
- Obtain the tourist visa application form. This form is usually available on the embassy's website or can be collected in person.
- Gather Required Documents:
- Commonly required documents include a valid passport with at least six months of validity beyond your planned stay, passport-sized photos, proof of travel arrangements, and proof of accommodation in Nepal.
- Pay Visa Fees:
- Tourist visa fees vary depending on the duration of stay. Check the official website for the current fee structure.
- Submit Application:
- Submit the completed visa application form along with all required documents and fees to the nearest Nepalese embassy or consulate.
- Visa Processing:
- Wait for the processing of your tourist visa application. Processing times can vary, so it's advisable to apply well in advance of your planned travel.
- Collect Visa:
- Once your tourist visa is approved, collect your passport with the visa stamped from the embassy or consulate.
- Visa on Arrival (VOA):
- Nepal often allows tourists from many countries to obtain a visa on arrival at Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu and other entry points.
- Requirements for Visa on Arrival:
- Fill out a visa application form on arrival
- Have a passport-sized photo with you.
- Pay the visa fees in cash (U.S. dollars or equivalent in other major currencies).
(Note: Please carry the smaller bills)
- Duration of Stay:
- Tourist visas on arrival are typically issued for 15, 30, or 90 days.
- Extension of Tourist Visa:
- If you wish to extend your stay beyond the initial visa period, you may be able to apply for a visa extension in Nepal.
Online Visa Application: (https://nepaliport.immigration.gov.np)
- Check Online Application Availability:
- Visit the official website of the Department of Immigration in Nepal to check if there is an online visa application system.
- Follow Online Application Procedures:
- If available, create an account, fill out the online application form, upload necessary documents, and pay the visa fees online.
- Receive Confirmation:
- After successful submission, you may receive a confirmation email or reference number.
- Arrival in Nepal:
- Present the printed or electronic confirmation at the immigration desk upon arrival in Nepal.
Land Border Crossings:
Nepal-India Border Crossings:
- Kakarvitta: Eastern Nepal (Near Siliguri, India)
- Birgunj: Central Nepal (Connects with Raxaul, India)
- Belahiya: Western Nepal (Connects with Sonauli, India)
- Nepalgunj: Midwestern Nepal (Connects with Rupaidiha, India)
- Mahendranagar:Far Western Nepal (Connects with Banbasa, India)
Nepal-China (Tibet) Border Crossing:
- Kodari (Nepal) / Zhangmu (Tibet): Near Kathmandu
Note: This crossing is currently closed to tourists, and an alternative route is being used through Rasuwagadhi.
- Rasuwagadhi: North-Central Nepal (Connects with Kerung, Tibet)
- Gyirong (Gyirong Port): Far Western Nepal (Connects with Gyirong, Tibet)
Visa on Arrival (VOA):
Tourists from eligible countries can obtain a visa on arrival at Tribhuvan International Airport and certain land border crossings.
In addition to TIA, there are regional airports in places like Pokhara, Bhairahawa, and others, but they primarily serve domestic flights and some international flights from nearby countries.
It's important for tourists to check the latest travel advisories, visa requirements, and entry regulations, as these can change. Additionally, the availability of visa on arrival, the list of eligible countries, and other entry requirements may be subject to change, so it's advisable to check with the official sources such as the Department of Immigration in Nepal (https://www.immigration.gov.np) or the Nepalese embassy or consulate in your home country.
Tourist Visa Fees (Tribhuvan International Airport - Visa on Arrival):
15 Days Multiple Entry Visa: USD $30
30 Days Multiple Entry Visa: USD $50
90 Days Multiple Entry Visa: USD $125
Visa Extension Fees:
Tourist Visa Extension (Per Day):
USD 3 per day for the first 30 days
USD 2 per day for each additional day
Payment Method: Visa fees are usually payable in major convertible currencies, including U.S. dollars.
Visa on Arrival:
Visa on arrival fees are generally paid in cash at the immigration desk upon arrival at Tribhuvan International Airport (TIA).
Tourist visa extensions can be obtained at the Immigration Office in Kathmandu or certain immigration offices in other cities.